Stephanie's Reviews > Dead in the Family

Feb 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: series, paranormal, romance
Read from June 24 to July 01, 2011

This was more of a transitional book, wrapping up a lot of events and details from the previous book, Dead and Gone. There is less action here and more exploration into family issues for Sookie with Jason and her cousin Hadley's child, plus her fairy side of the family. We also learn more about Bill's family, Eric's maker and even Sam.

I felt like the plot was hinting at latent attraction between Sookie and Sam, but in the end, that thread went nowhere. Alcide is brought back here in a plot that seemed a little out of place.

Dead in the Family isn't the best work in the series by far, but I did enjoy the progression of characters and seeing Sookie make good decisions rather than being the victim. It ended a bit abruptly; I was hoping for a little more.

I listened to the audio version. The narrator is fantastic as Sookie, and decent for most of the other characters, although the tone of voice for Eric and Pam bothered me. There are so many characters in this series, I think it would be difficult to find one narrator who could do a great job with so many different voices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead in the Family.

Anna I can only listen to audio books if they're read by the author. The whole character voices thing kind of bugs me.