Judy's Reviews > The World of Henry Orient

The World of Henry Orient by Nora Johnson

Feb 10, 11

Recommended for: anyone who has seen the movie
Read from January 26 to February 10, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I have seen the 1964 movie "The World of Henry Orient" many times. Recently I saw it again and realized that it was based on a book. Through interlibrary loan, I was able to secure a copy. I was impressed to find that the movie followed the book pretty well. The only part that really differed was the ending. The movie had a happier ending with Val going off to travel and then settle in NYC with her dad. In the book, her dad is just a name and speaks only a couple of sentences. There is no personality developed for him except as a busuiness tycoon. Tom Bosley played him in the movie and he was a very likeable, loving father and person. In the movie we see the girls going off on new adventures as they become teenagers. Unfortunately, in the book, that doesn't happen. I'm not really sure if the book ending was realistic, but maybe it was in 1958.
The book is set in NYC on 8th Ave., for the most part. It was kind of fun to see the NYC of the late 1950s. I imagine that in some ways, it is still the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World of Henry Orient.