Cassy's Reviews > Airman

Airman by Eoin Colfer

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: books-with-reviews

Set during the late 1800s and on the islands of Great and Little Saltee (just off the coast of Ireland), young Connor Broekhart was born in the sky . . . literally, in the baskett of a falling hot air balloon. He was born into adventure, a friend of the king and playmates with the princess, and apprentice to a scientific frenchman. Connor lived the good life. That is, until he witnessed the vicious murdur of the king and his teacher. The evil doer through Connor into the depths of a Hellish prison, conned and schemed his family in convincing them of his death as a traitor, and completely destroyed his life. Well the brilliant Connor Broekhart isn't eager to give up, and is determined to prove his innocence to the world and escape from the confines of his prison, through the aid of his flying machine. Will Connor be able to save his family and the princess from the scheming murderer? Will they believe him to be an innocent man? Even so, life will never be the same for Connor Broekhart.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's full of very witty and cunning dialogue, and illustrates a great adventure. You read of world fairs, castles, princesses, sword fighting, all the great things that give you a classic adventure story. If you're the type of reader who loves reading in accents in your head, you'll love this book. There are Frenchmen, Englishen, Irishmen and it's just a blast reading it. The only thing that I hard a hard time with when reading this book, was some of the references the author made to older tools and contraptions that were popularly used in the 1800s, but are dinasour bones nowadays. I sometimes had a difficult time getting a mental image of what he was talking about,although I evenutally understood the concept. All in all, it was a very fun and delightful read.

A word of Caution: There is a sparse amount of cussing, maybe twice. Also, the fight scenes get a little graphic, but nothing too horribly mind cringing. I know for some people, that may actually be a reccomendation for the book, not a warning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Airman.