Elizabeth Dawson's Reviews > Hunter's Prayer

Hunter's Prayer by Lilith Saintcrow

Feb 10, 11

Read in February, 2011

Let me start by saying how much I really love Lili Saintcrow. Really. I think she's fabulous.

That being said, I don't think this particular series is that great. I started the book, and then kept starting (and finishing) others because I just wasn't that interested in this one-- it probaby took me 8 or 9 days to finish it.

Jill isn't as likeable as Lili's other big heroine, Dante Valentine. That may be an unfair comparison, but... there you go. They are both kind of ridiculously hard on themselves emotionally, but Jill--although her attachment to Saul seems more human-- also has an oddly clingy side, which feels squidgy to me. It seems like too sharp of a contrast to the rest of her personality. It just always rings a little false. I like her backstory-- it's really solid and makes perfect sense. Maybe it's too perfectly written-- she never does anything odd. She certainly doesn't have much of a sense of humor. Whatever it is, I just can't really like Jill.

I also don't quite get Jill's paralyzing fear of the hellbreeds. I get that they're evil and dangerous-- but she kills them all the time, and she's around them a LOT. That level of familiarity usually wears down fear, and she's a pretty badass chick. Her insane, trembling, disgusted fear just seems way too extreme to happen EVERY time she encounters Perry. She has a nickname for him for chrissake!

I'm also not a big fan of Saul-- and with him it is definitely that he's too perfect, and this is a critique of one of my favorite authors (i.e., it pains me to say it). Saul is not a person, he's just this perfect guy who is unfailingly every single thing that Jill needs. He has no depth. Maybe in book 3 we'll see more when we go to see his people, but after books one and two, he's just not a real person.

I'd like to add that although I've read that quite a few people seem to believe this is exactly the same world as the Dante Valentine series-- and although it's very similar in tone, level of violence, and level of grittiness, I completely disagree. They are both very detailed, dark, and full of crazy magics & creatures, but not the same magics, and not the same creatures.

I really wanted to like these books more than I did. Le sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter's Prayer.