Seph's Reviews > Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Feb 10, 2011

Read in January, 2010 , read count: 1

Don and I are friends. At least... that is the way I felt after reading this book.

Blue Like Jazz is an honest, humorous, poetic, train-of-thought perspective of God's work in Donald Miller's life. Don has a way of making me want to be different without telling me that I need to change. I not only appreciated his perspective, but have found that his method of writing is so disarming that it is helpful as a method of connecting with people.

God used this book to show me Christianity from a different vantage point–truly helpful.

NOTE: Don is not a theologian, nor is this an attempt towards a systematic theology. I think there is some fuzziness to his view on Truth, and at times I wish he were more dogmatic, but Miller had no intent on making this a treatise of theology nor should we attempt to make this book into more than it is intended to be. (BTW Miller denies any connection to the Emergent movement, read his blog on the topic.)

NOTE for my NOTE: I think any discerning reader would already know what I wrote above.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Like Jazz.

03/07/2011 page 87
34.0% "Great discussion today on chapter 6: On the disappointment that comes from romanticism applied to the Christian life. On how we desire what destroys us. On how only Jesus can make us want what is truly good. Thanks for the talk guys!"