Erin's Reviews > The Dark Enquiry

The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: mystery
Read from October 03 to November 21, 2011

I was all set to give this 3 stars and say, plot-wise, that it was the least engaging Lady Julia/Brisbane mystery yet, but they had some very nice (and some very sad) surprises near the end that I really wasn't expecting, and they wrung a few tears out of me, so props to you, Ms. Raybourn! You bought yourself an extra star.

I really enjoyed book #4 with Julia and Brisbane abroad, but this story brings them back to London investigating (much to Brisbane's dismay--he's a one man show, usually) a (fake?) Madame holding seances who dabbles in a little blackmail. There is murder, blackmail, mistaken identity, some quirky Lady Julia family members and the return of Brisbane's gypsy relatives--all pretty good stuff. I thought it bogged down a little in the middle, but I haven't been able to read at the speed I normally do, so that could be to blame. However, at the heart of every Lady Julia book is the ever-believable relationship between Julia and her dark, handsome, loner husband Brisbane, and their interaction is what makes this series different from all the others. I will go so far as to say there are unfortunate circumstances that befall them in this story that were both believable and tragic, and their relationship is the wonderful centerpiece of every book--it's what keeps me returning to the Lady Julia series. Brisbane is (to me) one of the most interesting characters in historical (romantic) fiction that I've read recently, and most definitely swoon-worthy, and Lady Julia is his perfect match, a great, well-rounded character and terrific narrator. Quite satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Enquiry.

Chris Hunt FYI...Deanna Raybourn is on Facebook. I have read her first book. Need to catch up with them.

Erin Thanks! I just friended her. That's one of my favorite series...they just get better!

Amanda Can't wait!