Tobias's Reviews > Speaker for the Dead

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from April 04 to 07, 2011

Orson Scott Card has got to be one of the most talented authors alive. The writing draws you in to the characters' lives and enables you to feel some of the emotion that they feel. The ideas and concepts behind the story of this book are phenomenal. The characters were believable - all of the characters, human and alien alike. I love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speaker for the Dead.

Quotes Tobias Liked

Orson Scott Card
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”

Orson Scott Card
“No human being, when you understand his desires, is worthless. No one's life is nothing. Even the most evil of men and women, if you understand their hearts, had some generous act that redeems them, at least a little, from their sins.”

Orson Scott Card
“When you really know somebody you can’t hate them. Or maybe it’s just that you can’t really know them until you stop hating them.”

Orson Scott Card
“Every person is defined by the communities she belongs to.”

Orson Scott Card
“Twisted and perverse are the ways of the human mind," Jane intoned. "Pinocchio was such a dolt to try to become a real boy. He was much better off with a wooden head.”

Orson Scott Card
“It's the most charming thing about humans. You are all so sure that the lesser animals are bleeding with envy because they didn't have the good fortune to be born Homo sapiens.”
tags: jane

Orson Scott Card
“Quim," she said, "don't ever try to teach me about good and evil. I've been there, and you've seen nothing but a map.”

Orson Scott Card
“We've devoted our lives to learning about them!" Miro said.

Ender stopped. "Not from them.”

Orson Scott Card
“So you chose not to be part of the bands of children who group together for the sole purpose of excluding others, and people look at you and say, poor girl, she’s so isolated, but you know a secret, you know who you really are. You are the one human being who is capable of understanding the alien mind, because you are the alien mind; you know what it is to be unhuman because there’s never been any human group that gave you credentials as a bona fide homo sapien
# [He] wondered if it was already too late to teach her how to be a human”

Orson Scott Card
“You're cultural supremacists to the core. You'll perform your Questionable Activities to help out the poor little piggies, but there isn't a chance in the world you'll notice when they have something to teach you.”

Orson Scott Card
“You understand that the piggies are animals, and you no more condemn them for murdering Libo and Pipo than you condemn a cabra for shewing up capim."

That's right," said Miro.

Ender smiled. "And that's why you'll never learn anything from them. Because you think of them as animals.”

Orson Scott Card
“Dona Crista laughed a bit. "Oh, Pip, I'd be glad for you to try. But do believe me, my dear friend, touching her heart is like bathing in ice."

I imagine. I imagine it feels like bathing in ice to the person touching her. But how does it feel to her? Cold as she is, it must surely burn like fire.”

Orson Scott Card
“Sickness and healing are in every heart; death and deliverance in every hand.”

04/06/2011 page 152