Celine's Reviews > Special Forces

Special Forces by Aleksandr Voinov

Feb 10, 2011

bookshelves: effing-amazing, m-m
Read from January 04 to February 26, 2012

What a beautiful beautiful story... I don't think it's possible I'll ever read something as good as Special Forces. Is there something as good out there? I hope so because otherwise my reading days have dulled a bit. Would I have it any other way? Hell no! I'm so happy I read this. I'm so grateful these 2 writers managed to write something so beautiful ...so heartbreaking. (really: Thank you!!) I'm getting all emotional again just by writing this review and it's been a week since I finished it.

It's a story about 2 men but to me it's the most profound lovestory of every human being. The hidden ugliness of love, the beauty found in small everyday things... It's all there and this is not just happening to Dan & Vadim, no, you as a reader get the experience of a lifetime! Feeling the same things, getting excited, giddy at times, hopeful, laughing... you feel it in every little inch of your body and soul. The emptiness, the despair so livid, eating away at your guts... no niceties, not holding back... in your face, whether you want it or not. And by God, you want it to never ever end!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Forces.

Quotes Celine Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“What about the scar … in my face.” He managed to force out, couldn’t
find the words, no better nor easier way to ask and even plead. Do you want me.
Do you honestly still want me?
Please, want me.”
Aleksandr Voinov, Special Forces

01/25/2012 page 401
72.0% "back on the SF rollercoaster! I've just started Mercs I and already i'm *aaaaaaaaartghghghghghhg* fuckfuckfuck" 9 comments

message 1: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Hoe heb ik compleet kunnen missen dat je dit aan het lezen was?!?!

Celine oh no no no no noooooo! 3 words: 'but I did' rock-bottom...

Lenore "I never stopped loving you". Right?

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Oh babe, it gets much much worse...

Lenore It does. Shit! It does.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

...because I am stalking Lenore...

Where would you girls say is absolute rock bottom?

Lenore Kate Mc. wrote: "...because I am stalking Lenore..."

:) And that's just fine, Kate.

Rock bottom? Celine don't read this (view spoiler)

Celine Did I say 'rock bottom'? no no that was nothing :) now i'm rock bottomest... but i still have 2 books and a half to go so i'm pretty sure I will hit even more rock bottomster goddamn grrr frustration don't be so fucking stubborn you two!!! aarghghghhg

Celine @Lenore: yeah *sigh* but i did.... oh oh so much pain so much desperation and it does gets worse... Vadim is in Kuwait now... i'm gonna kill Jean if I get my hands on that lying manipulating so-called-straight ass!!

Lenore My memory fails me... Is Kuwait before or after Thailand?

message 11: by Mel (last edited Jan 27, 2012 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Kuwait is before and after Thailand. They were stationed there.

Celientje, this is the kind of frustration I was talking about. It gets better before it gets worse and it just goes round and round.
Hang in there!

Lenore Duh!!! I saw Kuwait but what I read was Dubai.

Celine eh Thailand? no one's been to Thailand yet! ah fuck maybe i'm mixing up places? and i went flicking through pages but it only says persian gulf so crap ..my geografic knowledge is shit. Wasn't Dan in Dubai with the Baroness and now in Kuwait at the merc's camp? that's what i thought...

Celine @Mel: 'round and round' indeed! goddamn :) well at least it makes for some interesting reading! It feels as if Soldiers was a light read in comparison to Mercs 1. All was well and hea...

message 15: by Mel (last edited Jan 27, 2012 04:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Lenore wrote: "Duh!!! I saw Kuwait but what I read was Dubai."

Oh LOL. Well that happens after Thailand.

@Celine: exactly. Soldiers is light reading compared to Mercs I and II. While you hate most of it, it manages to suck you in even more.
Just don't forget to feed the baby ;)

Celine @ Mel: luckily I have a man to take over some of the charges of motherhood :) i retreat into the bathtub for me-time with SF ...only problem is the water bill cause i keep adding hot water over and over.. I stay in far too long...

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Ah, you'll be a raisin long before the end of it. :)

Celine So I'm in thailand now! I'm guessing this is the 'gets better' part? :) I'm loving it! Dan is so cute, I'm growning more and more fond of him. the waxing scene is hilarious :)

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Oh yeah, Thailand. Loved it. It was much needed. Enjoy their bliss time. And let me know when you get back to Kuwait.

Lenore Mel wrote: "Oh yeah, Thailand. Loved it. It was much needed. Enjoy their bliss time. And let me know when you get back to Kuwait."

I love your subtlety, Mel.

Celine @Mel: Bliss-time is over. there back in Kuwait, with maggie so still pretty much ok.
I'm curious how they will deal in the camp! and how bout Hooch & Matt, how would that 'set-up' in the safe house work out? and f*cking Jean. He was good for Dan but goddamn Jean don't you ever take your d*ck near Dan again!!!
will they be able to stay together? sleep together? they want to but oooh how will the camp react?

message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Oh yes camp time... I always thought the problem was not so much Jean as it was Dan looking Jean up. ... :S
Als ik nog een spoedbezoek Leuven in moet plannen, dan laat maar weten :)

Celine hmm i got a annoying vibe from Jean. Like he was being too friendly towards Dan, too funny and too damn tempting. he still hasn't told about his encounter with Vadim.... and he was just waaaay to accomodating towards Dan. Given the circumstances, no wonder Dan ended up in his bed. I'm wondering how they will get along now with their relationship re-defined.
although Jean seems to realise how much they mean to each other since the coded distress call.. still the bastard is to easy!!! grr :)

message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Oh he is easy and convenient. I want to say more but I don't want to spoil you. I'd love to talk more about Jean when you're done with Mercs I.

Celine great! looking forward to that, right now i do NOT want to be spoiled, this book is way too much fun
I can just about see them, Vadim with the girlie-shopping, Dan bored out of his mind :) these guys are uber cute ;)

message 26: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel *sigh* Dan and Vadim 4ever

(We wanted to graffiti it in the Voinov group. Discussing the guys for like 8 months non stop brings our the adolescent in one...)

Celine i find myself constantly thinking about those guys, like they are old friends I can go back to every evening.... see wha

Celine what they've been up to today, any new adventures? :)
I also need to bite my tongue when talking to RL people... remind myself: Dan & Vadim are in books only...and I am the only one around reading about them, not my girlfriends not my man... adolescent: big time!

message 29: by Mel (last edited Jan 30, 2012 04:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Oh you don't know how many times my sister rolled her eyes at me when I yet again mentioned Dan and Vadim. I was linking everything to them. Or I would get sad without reason and go: "oh but Vadim feels so loohooost... *snif snif*".
I am so glad that time I was reading it with three friends at the time. And we'd be commenting on every chapter on my book review pages. Or PMing about all the WTF moments. I seriously would have gone crazy, had I not had anyone to share the misery with...

Celine hihi great to know it has the same effect on everybody! SF-fever anybody? :)

we had dinner with my parents and brother and really: the amount of times I wanted to start about SF! 'ooh yeah Thailand, where Dan & Vadim are' 'waxing? like Dan!' 'aye'

Celine problem is: i can't just give this book to someone and say: " i need you to read this!" Get on with it!! :)

you need some getting used to m/m in general and slowly work your way up to the moment when you are ready to face this epic tale

message 32: by Mel (last edited Jan 30, 2012 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Exactly. This being your first mm will be kind of a shock. Plus it will ruin your forerer. What else could compare?

Celine oh absolutely! I only started m/m when you read SF. even though I was interested i knew I had to wait. I'm glad... gotta start with the more mellow couples like Vic&Jacob, Ty&Zane, Jack&D... hihi it's all about building resistance :)

message 34: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Jack and D.... Puh.. puh..

Celine awww com'on they are cute too :) specially with D's unpolished american slang. isn't that a 'classic'? :p

Lenore Jack and D, Jack and D, Jack and D! (Have I pissed you off yet, Mel?)

Celine I like Jack&D more then Ty&Zane! any other great combo's?

message 38: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Ugh, then I'll probably hate Ty and Zane. Yeah Celine, classic they are... classically bad.

Lenore, I still don't see what you see in those guys.

Lenore Mel wrote: "Lenore, I still don't see what you see in those guys."

Dunno. I just liked them... Maybe because I read Zero at the Bone right after finishing Shades of Gray?

Celine hahah no no i liked them! specially Jack, he was sweet.
they were my first... first love story between a bad guy and a good guy. good tension build-up and cute couple!
okay you are allowed not to like 'em ;)

message 41: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Celine wrote: "awww com'on they are cute too :) specially with D's unpolished american slang. isn't that a 'classic'? :p"

Actually the speech annoyed me. I can ignore most "accents", but this one really, really bugged me.

And I like Ty&Zane much, much more than D&Jack. Dan&Vadim would've been No. 1, but alas, Jean came along and Dan became a man slut.*sigh* C'est la vie.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think you'll hate Ty and Zane, Mel. But you may have difficulty getting through the first book. That one was a low 3 for me, salvaged only by the guys themselves.

*goes off chanting "Jack & D, Jack & D"*

Lenore Kate Mc. wrote: "*goes off chanting "Jack & D, Jack & D"*"

ROFL! Missed you, Kate!

message 44: by Mimi (last edited Jan 30, 2012 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Kate Mc. wrote: "Jack and D for the win! Yay! (sorry Celine, a drive-by for Mel's sake was impossible to resist)

Now that's mean, lol.:D

BTW, sorry for, hmmm, crashing to the party but the conversation seemed fun.

But if it gets to the rehashing of Dan's transgressions and/or the MENTIONING of Jean I'm out of here.:P

Yes Cut&Run was a bit of a mess plot-wise. But I loved the guys so much I got over it.

Lenore Oh yay! Another Jean hater.

message 46: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Lenore wrote: "Oh yay! Another Jean hater."

Celine @Mimi: I've done my fare share of cussing on Jean (see above) but I must warn you: No Spoilers!!! :)

@Mel: u mean you haven't read Cut&Run yet? duh girl: get a move on!

message 48: by Mimi (last edited Jan 30, 2012 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Celine wrote: "@Mimi: I've done my fare share of cussing on Jean (see above) but I must warn you: No Spoilers!!! :)

@Mel: u mean you haven't read Cut&Run yet? duh girl: get a move on!"

Oh, ok. Do I need to spoiler tag any of my previous posts or is it just for future posts?

And Mel, do read Cut&Run!!!*Peer Pressure*

Lenore Mimi wrote: "Wait are you saying *gasp* there are those who are NOT Jean haters? Jean fans?! *expires from shock and the scandalous thought*
"

:D You should avoid my friend Sara. She loves him. But I forgive her because she's adorable otherwise.

Celine @Mimi: but I'm positive Jean is not all bad. He's actually done some good to Dan with his presence and 'easy comfort'... I'm sure their little bout of sex helped Dan get over some of his issues. Still it's hard to read when at the time all you want is for Dan to go to Vadim and be together for like EVER goddamnit!!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8