Krys's Reviews > The Girl of Fire and Thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Feb 18, 14

bookshelves: medium-length-book, young-adult, own, first-person-narrative, court-intrigue, read-in-2011, fantasy, series, series-i-love
Read from September 04 to 09, 2011, read count: 1

I got a little distracted this week from the book I was reading due to some personal goings-on this week... but today I finished my book... and I am excited to tell you about it. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson is beautiful and fascinating...and very hard to describe.

Elisa is the second Princess in the kingdom of Orovalle. She has spent her years devoted to religious studies of the Scriptura Sancta. Due to a religious prophecy Elisa was endowed on her naming day with a Godstone in her navel, the sign of the chosen one of God. She is on her way to meet with her arranged husband-to-be, the King Alejandro of Joya d'Arena. Their impending nuptials will ensure him a power beyond imagining in a violent war brewing between Joya d'Arena and their enemies.

Elisa is a complicated heroine. At first she is a child, subject to the whims and vices of children. Her older sister, Juana-Alodia, has instilled in her numerous complexes about her unsuitability to be Queen. As a result of her poor self-confidence Elisa has developed an eating disorder that prompts her to stuff herself silly whenever anyone makes disparaging remarks about her...at least, that seems to be the trigger. Whether she has a food addiction, or some other neurosis entirely, Elisa concentrates a lot of her energy on, well... eating. Throughout the course of this book Elisa faces a number of trials that forces her to shed the skin of childhood and grow into a woman. Very early on in the book she is captured by rebels who want to use her as a pawn in the war. Elisa develops Stockholm Syndrome as she begins to know the captors, particularly Humberto, the dark and generous one.

Elisa's journey is captivating and remarkable. The religious mythos that Carson has created is layered, and complex, and engrossing. It's very rich, and very, very addictively readable. I loved so much about this book. It's great to see how Elisa comes into her own, becomes empowered, and grows into a believable young woman who will be a joy to follow throughout this series. Like I said, it's very hard to describe, but I will say this... it's one of the most unique books I have read in a very long time. Carson is going to acquire an interesting cadre of fangirls and boys out of this one.

Also, Carson did the thing that I have been wanting YA authors to do for ages...the plot point...and I'm not going to tell any of you what it was. We'll talk about it after the release date.

5 out of 5 stars. It's awesome.

- review courtesy of www.bibliopunkkreads.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

09/04/2011 page 31
7.0% "Just started this book and I am already enjoying it so much more than the last book I was reading."
show 1 hidden update…