Corrie's Reviews > Born in Shame

Born in Shame by Nora Roberts

Feb 18, 11

I haven't read the first book in this series. I picked up the second book, Born in Ice at the thrift store and read the entire book one night during a blizzard. When I saw Born in Shame at the same thrift store a few days later I couldn't believe my good fortune. I LOVED Brianna and Gray and I so very much wanted to know what happened to them.

I didn't like Shannon at first and it took me a while to warm to her character, though I'm wondering if that is exactly what Nora Roberts wanted. I was happy to know that Murphy was going to be the love interest as I just adored him in Born in Ice. I loved that he didn't know what to say or do around Shannon at first. How many of us have become tongue tied in the presence of someone we find so attractive?

I was unfortunately disappointed by the sense of magic in this book. While I love that sort of stuff (loved it in the Gallaghers of Ardmore trilogy) it felt very out of place here. There was so much heavy stuff in this book between the sisters meeting and Shannon trying to discover where she belonged that it was very distracting. I kept trying to ignore it.

I felt a bit bad for Murphy. Shannon seemed to have no clue what she wanted and she was leading the poor man around by his heart which I thought was cruel. She knew he loved her, slept with him, but then still was going to leave him. He definitely kept me interested in the book. Why can't a man like that exist where I live. *grin*

Still a great book. I enjoyed it more the second time I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born in Shame.