Adrienne's Reviews > Maus, II: And Here My Troubles Began

Maus, II by Art Spiegelman

Feb 10, 11

All of those questions leftover from the first one--answered. The discussion of animal at the beginning is interesting, I like that Spiegelman was a bit reflective on his role as narrator, and of course the interaction between the father and son can never be summed up so quickly but was satisfyingly addressed.

Auschwitz is horrifying, again. It's not the first time, or the last time that I'll read about it (I plan to reread Maus, but definitely not right away). It never gets to be easier. The scale, the systematic depravity, it's mind-numbing. I asked my friend, who's from Germany, to tell me what her family was doing--and got a bit of history she heard from her grandparents--stealing chocolate from Americans, a priest who disappeared for speaking out against the Party, her grandmother's relief that the Americans and not the Russians came. And then, two days later, by chance: my dad's neighbor, watching the super bowl, sees an ad for Volkswagen and declares that he would never buy one because there's "something wrong with the German national character."

There will never be any resolution, or convenient summation and dismissal of this part of our history. It's sad to think it'll be a series of books, or stories, or theories or whatever--and we can treat our subject well or poorly, but this isn't something we'll (I'll?) resolve. I do believe that this sort of senseless corruption can happen to anyone, and it will always be heartbreaking. I do hope that reading about it helps us to be better people and guard against it from happening again.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maus, II.