Tony's Reviews > Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide

Toolbox for Sustainable City Living by Scott Kellogg

Feb 10, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from February 10 to 25, 2011

Although this book has some fairly radical ideas in it, it provided several great ideas for sustainable living.

When I first picked up this book and skimmed through it, I thought that I was going to end up laughing through the whole thing because of how insane the ideas were. Some of these ideas, with strange pictures to match, are a bit more on the fringe and many of them are not strictly legal, or are completely illegal. If you remove ideas like squatting, the very dangerous plan for home biofuel, and a toilet on the back of a bicycle, the book has some very beneficial ideas.

I will not go into all of my favorite ideas, but here are some of my favorites: rainwater collection systems, composting systems, passive solar building ideas, and greywater recycling systems. Not only does the book explain how these systems work, they explain in detail ways to build these systems yourself with items you probably already own.

As far as a do-it-yourself guide goes, it has some pretty helpful information. Although, this book is admittedly not for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toolbox for Sustainable City Living.