Clark's Reviews > Helliconia Spring

Helliconia Spring by Brian W. Aldiss

Feb 10, 11

A huge story. I have just finished this first volume with two more to go. The invention is massive and detailed and the characters are very well drawn and believable. Works on the same scale as Herbert's "Dune". Well worth the read.
*****
Finished the series some years later after working to overcome Lyme disease. Among other things, Lyme blasts your central nervous system and makes impossible to concentrate. During those years I slowly worked my way through these books.... which, it turned out, involved bimillenial changes to the human population through plauges of tick borne diseases that mutate the population and make it more adaptable to changing climates. The irony of reading this while working my way through chronic Lyme disease was huge.

Anyway, great series but so very much to take in. Myriad characters and story lines. Well worth reading, but it's not a romp in the park. It's literally an eons long journey.

Enjoy it. And always check for ticks.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helliconia Spring.

Daniel The bone-fever portion terrified me, and I was a hale and well man when I read it! Unfortunate coincidence indeed, but glad to see you came out the other side