KD Williams's Reviews > Offbeat Bride: Taffeta-Free Alternatives for Independent Brides

Offbeat Bride by Ariel Meadow Stallings

Feb 09, 2011

bookshelves: own-e-book, non-fiction
Recommended to KD by: Self
Recommended for: Brides, Grooms, Wedding Planners
Read from February 09 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This book was written in a easy to read, matter of fact style. While overflowing with social and political opinions, anyone could benefit from reading this book if they are capable of over-looking rampant mentions of hippies, raves, and feminism.

The author does take great care to not alienate the reader while still standing on her soapbox about a myriad of issues from time to time, and really gets down to enforcing the point that the most important detail about a couple's wedding day is all about them and should reflect them as a couple rather than giving in blindly to tradition and what the wedding industry tells us is required for a wedding.

While most of what the book says and suggests does not apply to my relatively traditional wedding (I love tradition and appreciate their historical contexts) that I am planning, the book did help me to feel more comfortable about making sure that the wedding is the way my fiancée and I want it rather than completely bowing to what people tell us we are supposed to have.

I would truly recommend it to any bride (or groom for that matter!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Offbeat Bride.

02/13/2011 page 84
02/17/2011 page 143
62.0% "Awesome book so far, a real easy read with short chapters... :)"
show 1 hidden update…