Peter's Reviews > The Three Musketeers

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

Apr 23, 15

Did you know there were 4 musketeers? Did you also know they were not very nice guys? One guy won't let his servant ever speak. One is having an affair with a married woman, and ridicules her for gifts she buys him. Another can't decide whether to have an affair or be a priest, but constantly pinches his ears to make them a more attractive color. Since they don't seem to be paid much to be musketeers they are constantly grifting off of other people. One of their brave deeds is to have breakfast in the middle of a battle field just to prove that they aren't scared of the English.

I really detested the musketeers, which means I didn't find much to enjoy in the book.
31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Musketeers.

Comments (showing 1-22)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 22: by Sean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sean Yeah, I admit that I was quite surprised by that content as well. Nary a buckle was swashed in the entire book.

Christy You put it much better than I did. This is exactly how I felt about the book. Such a let down!

message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry S. Thank you! I thought I might have been the only person in the world who did not like these guys. I thought these guys were supposed to be heroes , but they maim or kill people for the most trivial things. I could not finish the book because I just couldn't stand them

message 19: by Aime (new)

Aime Fernández in my opinion you have got the wrong impression about this book. First of all, Athos "the guy that won't let his servant ever speak" was in fact the best of the four and he did allow Grimaud (his servant) to speak. Second of all, in that time, having an affair with a married woman was pretty common ( as it is still nowadays) and wasn't as bad as it is now. and finally, when you say that "one of their brave deeds is to have breakfast in the middle of a battle field just to prove that they aren´t scared of the English" I´m afraid that you didn't understand that part, the purpose of doing that was to be left alone to talk about what Milady was about to do.

Peter Aime,

Grimaud spoke exactly once, Athos hits him for it and only then realizes that Grimaud had a good reason for breaking his silence. During their breakfast in the battlefield, there is a lot of talk about food and wine and not much about Milady. I personally am opposed to affairs. Of course all of this is my judgement, but the Musketeers aren't the kind of people I would like to spend time with or read about. My review is to let other people know what I think, that is the point of reviewing books. If you feel otherwise, review the book yourself.

message 17: by Aime (new)

Aime Fernández My apologies Peter, you're right. Reviews are for letting people know what we think but without being rude (as I was) I'm sorry, I didn't expected to be rude but know that I re-read my comment I realized that I was quite impolite. I beg you pardon and as an excuse I must tell you that English is not my mother-tongue so maybe I used some words wrong. I also want to tell you that The Three Musketeers is my favorite book ever but that is definitely no reason for being rude with people.

Peter Aime,

Apology accepted, this is a place for opinions, as long as we can all be polite.

Aurora Thanks for posting exactly what I felt. I hated the freaking Musketeers and D'Artagnan so much I want to find Dumas's grave so I can dig him up and punch him. The treatment of women was deplorable in the book and I've noticed the majority of male readers are perfectly ok with that, sadly enough. I felt this book was boring, shallow, and appealed to the lowest common denominator with its complete lack of any form of morality. "Oh, you killed a bunch of people after getting in an ego-fueled street fight? Tsk tsk." Wtf?!?! I hated this thing so much >_<

message 14: by Aurora (last edited Oct 23, 2013 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Aurora There was nothing to the story except for one long drudging "let's go use some women and steal money and get drunk" scene after another. Immorality isn't the problem. It not having any kind of compelling story is the problem. This is like the "classic" version of "The Hangover" except even more juvenile and pointless.

Aurora Why the hell do you follow individual reviewer's posts on books you... haven't even read? Judging by your out-of-left-field attack on the reviewer about how "shallow" he is, I'm going to guess you have nothing better to do than to find random places to try to get into arguments with strangers on the internet. Lame.

Aurora lol. I meant "Hah!"

douche. Good job on proving my point -_- But hey, maybe if you keep talking some more about stuff and things while using words to make sentences and express ideas and whatnot, you'll eventually sound as pretentiously self-importantly annoying and confrontantional in your I'm-trying-to-be-hipster-so-I'm-smart-not-obnoxious way as you could ever hope to be.

Christy I totally agree Aurora. I do give some leeway for different time, different place... but only for the author not the current readers and their comment.

message 10: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc "The Three Musketeers" is my favorite book as well. It's amazing that some people would actually hate it. Oh well. To each his own. There are people out there that think "The Godfather" is an awful film and The Beatles are terrible. .... Not many but they are out there

Camila Picardo i agree, they are characters that a modern person can never admire. But we must consider that the story is settled in 1625, even before Illustration and although i really have a hard time (though sometimes very funny) struggling with the female characters which seem so naive and ridiculous, i liked the book because of Dumas way of narration, the bond of friendship and the plot itself

Plonkie Hehe! Yes! I've just started reading it and they really are very morally ambiguous! It's making the characters more interesting though but they are hard to like in places.

Plonkie Also, this book was written in a different time (and set prior to this!) with different cultural rules and I'm reading it with an open mind and an appreciation that things have changed since then :-)

Troy Martin The Musketeers are soldiers—and soldiers are by nature of their duty very rough and tend to be socially unaccepted. It has been so since the dawn of war and the martial spirit. Read some biographies of career soldiers at any time in history and you'll see what I mean.

Tincangoat Heh, you're right about their character, but it makes them human to me. I work around people like this. The thing I think is the weakest is his writing style. Sometimes the quotes are brilliant, but more often the book reads hurried and amateurish.

message 4: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan Fegenbush Coming fresh off of Monte Cristo I pretty much feel the same way. The four friends are like petulant psychopaths that haven't worked a day in their lives.

message 3: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan Fegenbush Honestly, as far as I can tell, the only hero in this book is the Cardinal, but then maybe that is the point which makes this the claimed masterpiece it is. Too existential(?) for me though.

Aerial Ken Why do you want them to be nice guys? see dear, part of literature which I think is invaluable is its ability to let you experience life in many many different perspectives; They were not humane by today's standards true, but I got to experience how it felt in that world. Art should not always make you feel good, but it should always make u feel.

Darcywillow I already know all of that and I haven't read the book yet .....

What's the point in the musketeers being model human beings They wouldn't be and considering everything mentioned and what I know of them since I haven't read this yet I don't think they're that bad