natercopia's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

1927773
Oct 09, 11

Read from October 07 to 09, 2011

Intriguing premise and fast pace. That itself, might have been the number one flaw of the book. Too fast moving that it forgets about the character development. Although it did have some good supporting characters, the main character - Thomas was lackluster (Let's not even start with the girl). He had everything good going on that sometimes I feel that it was too convenient to make him the 'HERO' of everything. There wasn't enough 'discovery' factor that Thomas should have when he started out in the Glade. I would like to see more curiosity acted out instead of telling. One thing annoying was that Thomas kept asking questions to people who repeatedly shut him off instead of discovering it by himself. Everything was just passing with suspense, action and interesting unexplained ideas (like why only the runners are exclusive to the maze/ the secrecy of the rules) that it made 'The Maze Runner' completely an emotionless read at times. I would read book 2 despite the underwhelming character development in book 1 because the ideas were there, it just needed a bit more so that it wouldn't be a forgettable one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.