Andy's Reviews > Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

Feb 09, 2011

bookshelves: quick-reads
Read from February 09 to 15, 2011

A thought-provoking criticism of sociology/culture. Not exactly sure how many stars I'll give it in the end; for now, 4 is a decent starting point.

Though a quick read, Quinn's/Ishmael's message is worth mulling over. And yes, their message is quite clear. Quinn's views aren't revolutionary -- and his lecture-within-a-story doesn't present itself as particularly well-written prose -- but his gorilla power point presentation is worth a read.

Some reviews LOVE what this book stands for. Others seem *pissed*, calling it sexist, cliche, didactic, anti-religion, offensive... A lotta strong feelings. I guess it's a Love or Hate (with nothing in between) book. Sadly, these acolytes and hypercritics appear to have made up their minds the moment they discover the thrust of Quinn's argument, rather than (what I'd hope is Quinn's intended purpose of) taking things in chapter-by-chapter, lecture-by-lecture and considering Quinn's worldview with an open mind. Might not be your cup of tea; might be your kool-aid. Either way, relax, people.

The book is a creative attempt for the author to lecture his readers on a worldview. And yes, Quinn's narrator is rather slow on the uptake (which can be understandably tiresome), but it makes sense to do so if his goad is to reach a broad audience. To the degree you get where he's coming from at any point... skim on ahead.

What about that belief system? Still mulling over it to be honest. I certainly disagree with how a few arguments are made, but that doesn't mean the gorilla needs to be tossed out with the bathwater. Was I offended? Nope. Was I challenged to take a step back and think for a bit? Sure. So if you want a quasi-philosophy book where your teacher is big ol' gorilla... this is definitely your jam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ishmael.

02/09/2011 page 10