Jeffrey's Reviews > Pentecost

Pentecost by J.F. Penn

2060002
Feb 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebook, mystery, page-turner, thriller, fantasy
Recommended for: lovers of archeological fiction, open minded religious explorers.
Read from February 07 to 09, 2011 , read count: 1

Two things: 1) I bought this book to read, 2) I also bought it as an ebook to see how the experience of reading a novel in Kindle.app would be. I found this book via the author's ad on facebook: "If you like James Rollins, you'll love Pentecost" (or something very like that). I love James Rollin's books and the price as an ebook ($2.99) was right!

Ms. Penn comes close to the ad's claim. She wrote a book that moves rapidly and keeps the reader's interest very well. The book jumps around the world and goes to a lot of interesting settings. Very entertaining.

I guess I should have known from the title that this book was also listed as "Christian Fiction", but it is not proselytizing at all. It reads more like archeological sci-fi. One of the main characters says at one point (I'm paraphrasing from memory) "this is like a tour of all the greatest churches". That is true.

Suitable for skeptics and open minded believers alike.

NOW for the SECOND part of why I read this!

I was curious what the experience of reading a Kindle ebook would be like on my desktop Mac and my iPod Touch. This would be a new intentional experience. Would the small form of the iPod effect the experience of reading a page-turner mystery? How would experiencing it electronically affect me?

I found I was able to get into the flow after I set up the iPod with larger text & locked the screen in landscape orientation. I have some suggestions for Kindle though: a better indication of "progress" would be good... I found myself wondering how far I was into the novel. I can see that even using Kindle.app on an iPad would be better, more like reading a paperback.

The point is YOU DO NOT NEED A KINDLE TO READ KINDLE BOOKS!

Another Great surprise the book "Pentecost" can be loaned to anyone with a Kindle application (and there are a lot of them). You have to log into your Amazon "manage your Kindle" account, find the listing of books and your book-to-loan therein. There is a Plus Sign beside the book-to-loan. Click that, and when the detailed listing appears and IF IT IS A LOANABLE BOOK, there will be a button to loan; click that and (so amazon says) enter an email address of a loanee and they get the book for two weeks.

Now if they just had "give away" and "Sell" buttons.

Welcome to the new world.

- Jeff -

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pentecost.