Maria C.'s Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

F_50x66
Feb 14, 11

Read in February, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** After reading all the publicity surrounding this book I decided to read it myself, with great anticipation. There are a couple of things I noticed about this book:
First, the title "Battle hymn of the tiger mother" is really not adequate. THe title of the book should be a mothers open letter to her (westernized) children. In this book Amy Chua is in effect apologizing (or rather explaining) to her children why she did what she did. She in effect is saying to her children "Beware. Be careful. The U.S. is like a maze. Don't go the route so many others do. THe easy path is not so good for you in the future." Amy Chua is saying to her daughters that in the United states what most parents do is put their child(ren) in front of a maze (and expect the children to know its a maze) and tell them "okay son/daughter, you find the way into the maze and you find the way out of the maze.Because I am going shopping."
Three, Amy Chua did work like a fanatic on her daughters music lessons;
she had left notes (handwritten and typed) all over to her daughters on how many minutes to spend doing this; doing that.
Fourth, to create in your children hope is an accomplishment that transcends racial/religious divides.
Fifth, Amy Chuas "you have to be first / get straight a's in everything" reminds me of the admonisment the late Joseph Kennedy gave his children ('we don't want any losers around here"); except Amy Chua never engages her children in conversations about current events or issues (or if they did its not written about in the book).
Lastly, Amy Chua concentrated most of her energy in this book writing about the piano and the violin.
The violin is most of the time, a sad, mournful, whistful instrument; and it symbolizes the sadness and devastation that Amy Chua must be feeling now that her youngest daughter rejected the violin for tennis.
The book is Amy Chuas violin; playing a sad, mournful whistful song.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.