Tyler Chatelain's Reviews > Barrel Fever

M_50x66
Feb 09, 11

bookshelves: satire, grim, humorous
Read in October, 2010

For me, Barrel Fever is mostly a love-hate relationship in that in it comprised of many different, mostly insane stories which aren't related to each other. The main component within Barrel Fever is a sardonic satirical style which is used to construct the majority of the stories which details the harshness of humanity, a loss of compassion, and the lack of intelligence within most of society. Sedaris' style differs greatly between the stories but it still manage to make the novel entertaining for the most part, granted there are several passages whose content rides along the border of insanity. The most enjoyable parts for me though were the grim reflections on aspects of society in his fictional stories which provide an actual semblance of truth in addition to his non-fictional memoirs. Sedaris used his dark humor to provide realistic and authentic accounts of society, a style which would definitely be useful for me in detailing many of the negative aspects of society which I come into contact with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barrel Fever.