Wee Shubba's World's Reviews > The Carrie Diaries

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Mar 11, 2011

Read on March 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Original Post

I am in love with the Tv Show Sex and the City. Its my all time favourite show. I had never read any of Candace Bushnells novels. I didn't think i would enjoy them as many of the reviews for the Sex and City novel says the book isn't as good as the show. So I never bothered buying. However, I see this on Amazon one day and it sounds like my kind of thing. I am so glad I order it. I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

The Carrie Diaries follows Carrie Bradshaw as a teenager in her senior year of high school. I loved her. She reminds me so much of the tv character. She is wacky and funny. And has her head screwed on properly. Ok. so there is drink and drugs mixed in. However at the time this is set, 1979/80 that was a pretty common thing to do back then I think. She is a very strong character and doesn't let anyone boss her around. Her and her friends are a bunch very different people. They all bring something unique to story line. Maggie is the emotional one. The Mouse (Roberta) is a brainy one, Walt is the interesting one who has a secret. Lali is the one you want to slap.

The plot is very fun and yet deals with alot of serious issues as well. From grief to sexuality. It covers alot of issues. The big issue that is focus on is Boys. Well, with Carrie there is only two boys that take in interest in it. Sebastian, the new kid in school, bad boy. He is really sweet and caring towards Carrie at the begining of their relationship. However things turn bad when Sebastian and her best friend Lali start spending way too much time together. Then there is George. I really like him. He was sweet and cute and an all round nice guy. I am hoping that in the second novel that him and Carrie become more than friends.

My favourite part of the book is the very end. The set up for the next installement it just Perfect. I don't want to give anything away. However, if you are a sex and the city fan you are going to just love the last line in book.

Overall, well as you can see by my rambling on. I loved this novel. Its fresh, funny and really quick to read. So if you are a fan of the TV show or the original book then I suggest to pick this up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Carrie Diaries.

03/10/2011 page 61
03/10/2011 page 208
52.0% "so far im loving this."
03/10/2011 page 389
100.0% "i need the sequel like yesterday."
show 2 hidden updates…

Judes I really enjoyed this. Easy to read as well. Definitely recommended for Sex and the City fans.

Wee Shubba's World well im a massive satc fan. i never fancied the sex n the city book but this sounds good.

Destiny The last line of this just made me want to squeal and run straight over and grab Summer and the City! Loved this book!!