Daniel Audet's Reviews > The Cypress House

The Cypress House by Michael Koryta

Apr 11, 11

Read from April 03 to 09, 2011

I finished this book, having read through it in a few days. Koryta has a great writing style, it's no wonder he has a large following. Characters in this book are engaging and vivid. The flavor and atmosphere of the day (1935) is there throughout, along with the description of the hurricane and it's aftermath. The paranormal aspect of this book seems, well, normal, to the characters in terms of their reality and to the reader it becomes a plausible aspect. I'll be looking up other books from this author to read and I highly recommend this book, even if you're not a paranormal book fan....you will be. Stay tuned....

I started The Cypress House 2 days ago and I'm about 100 pages in. First of all I'm sorry I did not discover this author Michael Koryta sooner, it's certainly no fault of his I just need to get out more - I guess. Right off the bat Koryta grabs you and pulls you into the story as if you were already riding along, I love this and it's something all the best authors are able to do. The reviews you may have seen regarding this book and author, the positive ones, in my humble opinion are all true. Having messaged back and forth with Michael Connelly in the recent past I can tell you he doesn't twist the truth for anyone....EVER. So, if he says this guy's"...the best of the best...", and I agree, then that's what he is, you can take that to the bank.
OK, back to our story....There is nothing standard issue about this tale or the way Koryta rolls it out. He breaks a few writing rules and it works to make this story, and the critical backstory, bring you up to speed on a drama playing, and about to play out, with ominous tie-ins to the characters recent history. Then, as a killer hurricane threatens the south coast of 1935 Florida (something the author beautifully and fully captures in flavor and setting)something happens to the good(or maybe not-so-good) samaritan who helps our 2 heroes out while on their way to a work camp in the Florida Keys. Our main character has a special skill, a skill he does not want and it allows him to see things he does not want to see. I'm not one for cliches', though I can only dream my own books will be spoken of this way, but, this book IS one of those you won't be able to put down. I'm thrilled to have discovered not just this great thriller but this author. More soon as I read through The Cypress House.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm very much looking forward to reading this book, having grown up in LA and Florida. FL mostly. I am a lover of the tropics so anything based in this area in my fav genre is sure to catch my attention. I will get back to you on this book soon, and other books by this author, Michael Koryta.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cypress House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daniel Audet He is also here on Goodreads.

message 2: by Berit (new)

Berit Ellingsen Curious about this book. Let me know what you think about it.

Daniel Audet Hi Berit, I'll be happy to let you know in a couple of weeks, probably less, when I get my copy. Koryta seems to have the creds and track record to produce a real thriller so I'm very much looking forward to reading my first book of his. I'll let you know!

message 4: by Berit (new)

Berit Ellingsen Oh the book is not out yet. :) Ok, no rush. :) When is your book coming out? Or should I not ask? :)

Daniel Audet I'm working a few short stories while I finish my first novel. Hopefully by the end of this year. Blogging for the last few years, I made a lot of fans and friends, hopefully that will translate into a successful book. I'm releasing a dance tune soon also, been in the studio for awhile working on it. I believe The Cypress House came out 2 weeks ago, you can find it in the links above.

Miles Nearly half way through and it's a very interesting book. The cover makes me want to buy the house and renovate!!!

Daniel Audet Miles wrote: "Nearly half way through and it's a very interesting book. The cover makes me want to buy the house and renovate!!!"

Hi Miles,
I haven't read this book yet, it's on my list. I'm happy to hear you like it. In fact, I haven't read anything from the author yet. I'm looking forward to it. Q: would you consider this book a real thriller? (in your opinion?)

Miles Hi Daniel, I've just finished it and I wouldn't class it as the typical thriller. I honestly thought "So Cold The River" is a stronger book but Cypress is a great read, for the narrative alone. It will leave you exhausted though!

Daniel Audet Miles wrote: "Hi Daniel, I've just finished it and I wouldn't class it as the typical thriller. I honestly thought "So Cold The River" is a stronger book but Cypress is a great read, for the narrative alone. It ..."

Ok,Typically I read and review new release books from my own genre, with the recent exception of Kristin Kimballs awesome book The Dirty Life. thanks for the heads up, since I am not familiar with this authors work. D