Toni Daugherty's Reviews > River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life

River Out of Eden by Richard Dawkins

Feb 09, 11

Read in February, 2011

I finally get him!!! Guess what? Your DNA is eternal, not you. It flows like a river through us (and all creatures) and we are merely the banks (of the river) that house the DNA for its continuation into next generation, and the next (or not).

I have read many of Dawkins' books and articles and this is a winner! If you're interested in learning exactly what Dawkins means by "The Selfish Gene" or the DNA river - this is the read & it's a quicky! The concepts are not as difficult in this book as many others - rather - it's a layman's explanation of our beginnings from the replacation bombs in space to the biological zygote (or previous bacteria) and on to our own technological replacation bombs. Now, I get why he was lead to the next step: memes.
A fun read about the river of DNA that flows in all of us! And, it was particularly interesting to learn about Mitochondrial eve and the importance of the female line as it is always a pure line (no mixing of DNA there!), so it's much easier to study.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River Out of Eden.