Dina's Reviews > The Elephant Vanishes

The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami

Feb 17, 11

Read from February 09 to 17, 2011

Classic Murakami. In my opinion, with him you are always guaranteed at least 2 things: an attack on the normal and a somewhat elitist taste in music. I must say that I prefer Murakami as a novelist as opposed to Murakami as a short-story writer, because i think that he doesn't somehow manage to reach the finish line very successfully as latter. I always feel a dose of fledgling penmanship in his short stories that I have never encountered in his novels, which carry the reader steadily from the beginning until the end. I would say that my favourite story in this book is 'The Fall of the Roman Empire, The 1881 Indian Uprising, Hitler's Invasion of Poland, And The Realm of Raging Winds' because in it I feel that I can almost touch the Murakami genius as it weaves endless associations around mondane things.

If I had to recommend Murakami to beginners,then I think I'd rather recommend novels, more particularly Kafka on the Shore and Sputnik Sweetheart, as masterpieces of modern literature.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elephant Vanishes.