Barbara's Reviews > Dancer

Dancer by Colum McCann

F 50x66
Feb 09, 11

Read in February, 2011

I absolutely loved this book. He had me from the initial description of the Russian front and the building of the baths for the soldiers all the way through mid-70s gay life in NYC, a dancer's physical decline, and the end of several character's lives. I think McCann is an exquisite writer, and there were so many sentences that stopped me cold while I read the book, I had to re-read them, and then read them out loud to my companions.
I knew almost nothing of Nureyev when I started this book. I have since googled and sought other information on him, as well as studied countless photographs of Nureyev, Nureyev and Eric, and Nureyev and Margot Fontaine.
All of the characters are richly detailed. I enjoy the constant shift of perspective and different style of writing that McCann employs to amplify each character's personality and point of view.
Similar to Let the Great World Spin, McCann totally captures a slice of NYC in the 70s - a close friend and mentor of mine came out in 1977 and McCann's descriptions of the Rambles, the bath houses, and the general carefree wild sex of the time and place brought back so many memories and stories from my friend's life.

I can't wait to find another book by Colum McCann.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancer.