Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*'s Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Feb 14, 11

Read from February 09 to 14, 2011

Review: Dracula is a classic horror book written in 1897, so the writing style is a little different. You can not read it very fast and sometimes there are idioms which are hard to understand, also occasionally the spelling of the words is changed. You will also notice words that we don't use now that mush, such as “poor”, “fellow”, “i shall..”.

Bad things: I did not like the writing style, but that is only because it is a very old book. Also the book was separated in chapters which did not make sense. A chapter with the title “Mina Harker's Journal” had also entries from “Jonathan Harker's Journal”. Generally I don't like reading stories described in journals so I didn't like that part either. Some times I felt like there were many details, about how the characters felt and what they have done, as a result it was boring.

Good things: The story is fascinating, it is thrilling, hair- raising. I loved the dark scenes in the first chapters, in Count's castle. All the agony Jonathan had, all the things he saw but did not understand..But on the other hand I wanted to read more about what was going on in the castle. Also I loved the scene with the wolfs in the beginning. My favorite character was Dr. John Seward. His discriptions were great. The most characters of the book are men, exept Mina and Lucy but it was facinating that when you read the entries of women it felt like a woman was writting, the same with men.

To sum up Dracula is a must read, it is a classic and if you also like vampire fiction, horror books you should try it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

02/11/2011 page 64