LJ's Reviews > Death in West Wheeling

Death in West Wheeling by Michael Allen Dymmoch

Feb 05, 08

bookshelves: female_author, mystery, police_procedural, west-virginia, contemporary_post_1945
Read in January, 2008

DEATH IN WEST WHEELING (Police Proc.-Dep. Homer Deters-West Virginia-Cont) – VG
Dymmoch, Michael - Standalone
Five Star, 2000, US Hardcover – ISBN: 1594144583
First Sentence: The back of Grandpa Ross’s house faces down a south slope that’s been cleared of pines an’ brush.

Acting sheriff Homer Deters is told that a teacher, Roger Devon, at the mission school has gone missing. Before long, the count is up to three people missing, two unidentifiable bodies—one being bones only—and a less-than-forthcoming ATF agent.

The actual full title of this book is “Death in West Wheeling by Homer Deters (Not to be confused with that Greek feller who wrote war and adventure stories) as told to Michael Dymmoch.” That should give you some feel for this absolutely delightful book told from the protagonist point of view entirely in the local vernacular. While this may bother some, I found it added to the richness and authenticity of the story and sense of place. It’s a short little book at 182 pages. The writing is very clever and full of subtleties, twists and turns and humor that made me laugh out loud several times. Yes, there could have been greater development of the characters and there were a couple holes in the plot, but I so enjoyed the experience of reading this book, I didn’t mind. Michael Dymmoch’s Jack Caleb/John Thinnes Mysteries are favorites of mine yet I completely disliked her time-travel book so I wasn’t certain what to expect from this. Happily, I found this a thoroughly enjoyable, entertaining little read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in West Wheeling.