David's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Feb 27, 11

Read from February 08 to 12, 2011

And I have now finished the awesome Harry Potter series. The final book does a great job of tying up loose ends, and brings the whole thing to a clearly-defined conclusion.

The main themes that I found in this book were the process of growing up, dealing with death and the importance of sacrifice. Everyone does a lot of growing up in this book - but Harry, Ron and Hermione certainly take the cake. They spend about half of the book by themselves on the run from Death Eaters, casting protective spells around their camp each and every night. Most of the other characters in the book become a bit forgotten until the end, when everyone meets up at Hogwarts. Rowling does a good job of showing how much they have grown up in the trio’s absence, but the school atmosphere is definitely missing in this book. Death shows up often and a bunch of characters don’t make it to the end. But this is to be expected - this is a full-blown wizard war we’re dealing with here! And finally, everyone ends up sacrificing something or someone important to them in order to aid the fight against Voldemort. But no one sacrifices as much as Harry. And in the end, it is a combination of his bravery, intelligence and ambition that serves him well.

Another theme that I detected was an allusion to the Holocaust. I’m not sure if I’m reading too much into it, but the hatred for Mudbloods and Blood-Traitors in this book seems to be forced upon the wizarding community whether they agreed with it or not. Those who prove to be true at heart keep fighting all the way, but the average witch or wizard falls prey to the dark side. It seems like Rowling is trying to warn the reader to be honest with themselves and act according to their own moralities. I found it to be a great message.

This was a great book - definitely my favorite out of all the books in the series. So much happens, I can definitely understand why they would split it into two separate motion pictures. I don’t want to spoil any of it, so I will just say that I am completely satisfied with the way the series ends, and enjoyed all of the books... each one has a specific theme and message that can be learned. And they are extremely entertaining!

5/5 Stars. 759 pages. Published 2007.
1 like · Likeflag