Emily's Reviews > The Shack

Feb 11, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from February 08 to 11, 2011

Let me first say that I had no idea what this book was about when I picked it up to read. I honestly thought it was going to be more of a mystery. Every once in a while I will refuse to read anything about a book, including the back of it, so that I am not sure what I am getting myself into. This was one of those times. I did not like this book. I finished it, but it was an effort. I felt that it was absurd. I have no problem with God appering or the form that God took in this book, and that Mack did was off for me. I have always been taught that God has no gender, no body, and if God wanted to manifest itself it could as whatever it wanted. I didn't understand a lot of Mack's questions about things that seemed really simple to me. It made me question what kind of knowledge the author had. Which in turn caused me to be unable to trust in the story. This is clearly a fiction book, so I'm not sure why so many are saying that it 'changed thier life' it's a story. It's not a new Bible, it's not a new take on faith. It's a fictional story that is poorly told. Perhaps the author was trying to reach out to people with no faith education, and if that's so I hope these people find a better teacher. I was repulsed by some of the 'teachings' in this book. I don't write that lightly. While I think I understand where the author wanted to go, I just couldn't follow him. I am not saying that a fictional book can't be inpsperational, just that this one wasn't at all for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.