Janalyn Voigt's Reviews > Touching the Clouds

Touching the Clouds by Bonnie Leon

Feb 08, 2011

Enter a world of adventure in Depression-era Alaska in Bonnie Leon's Touching the Clouds. Meet Kate, a pilot driven by guilt over a crash that killed her best friend. With something to prove, she leaves home, family and fiance to become a bush pilot. Piloting the rugged Alaskan frontier is viewed as a man's job, she soon discovers. But animosity from her co-workers is less of a problem than the fear that rises up to choke her whenever something triggers a flashback from her accident.

Kate crosses paths with Paul, who lives as something of a hermit due to his own fears. Despite their mutual curiosity and attraction, walls separate Kate and Paul.

Bonnie Leon's vivid writing inserts the reader immediately in the era and brings the setting alive. The flying scenes felt real. The characterizations are believable but would have benefitted from a more in-depth treatment. The plot delivers few surprises. Still, this novel's concept, the beauty of its descriptions and the writer's unique and compelling voice deliver an enjoyable reading experience.

I recommend Touching the Clouds by Bonnie Leon to women who enjoy reading books of romantic suspense.

© 2011 Janalyn Voigt, author of novel books

*Thanks to the author and publisher for a complimentary copy of this title, given for purposes of review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching the Clouds.

message 1: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Chevrestt I LOVE women in aviation books.. but I don't like preaching and thus, have learned to stay away from Christian Fiction. How bad is this as far as the religion?

Janalyn Voigt Thanks for asking, Tara. I know I only reviewed this in February, but as a literary judge and book reviewer, I've read so many books since then I can't completely recall if there was any preachiness involved. I want to say that it was minimal. I would have probably noted it in my review otherwise. I still recall the plot, the characters and the beautiful writing in this novel, which says something about its quality. I'd say give it a shot.

message 3: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Chevrestt I tried the Amazon sample and when the bible was mentioned asap, feared it wouldn't be for me. I will pick it up if a copy appears on swap. There's a sequel coming out this year.

message 4: by Janalyn (last edited Jun 11, 2011 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janalyn Voigt I believe Susan Sundin also writes aviator stories, but I've not read her writing yet. She is a Christian though. Here's a link to a search for her on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

Are you not interested in reading books from a Christian viewpoint or just not happy with preachy books?

message 5: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Chevrestt I don't have a problem with Christian characters. I just don't like the whole, "find god and all your problems go away" theme. No offense intended. I had that pounded into me growing up and now just don't want to hear it. I sometimes find the Christian genre too clean to be believable as well. I will check out that author you mentioned above though and I will try this one.

message 6: by Janalyn (last edited Jun 11, 2011 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janalyn Voigt No offense taken, Tara. Actually, there's a movement among Christian authors who want to portray characters with more realism. I'm one of them. I'm a member of the following forum, which is filled with writers who write edgy Christian fiction: http://edgychristianfictionlovers.nin.... I just reviewed a book by Nike Chillemi (her debut novel) at my reader's website: http://novelbooks.org. It's the first post. One of the things that impressed me about her writing was that the Christianity wasn't used as a "gotcha" at the end.

I hope you enjoy whatever books you choose.

message 7: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Chevrestt I'm thrilled to hear this!! Too often, I have decided not to read a book even though it had an interesting story line simply because I was afraid of my above statements. Too often, I have read Christian Fiction and felt as though it was trying to convert me or the characters were just "too good." I like the sound of "edgy" Christian Fiction. I would def be more likely to read them. Thank you so much for talking to me and also for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Janalyn Voigt It sounds like you might benefit from joining the forum. It's for readers and writers. This reminds me I need to spend more time there. I'm always glad to be of help.