David S. T.'s Reviews > The Lost World of Genesis One: Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate

The Lost World of Genesis One by John H. Walton

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: religion-christian, read-in-2011
Read from February 08 to 22, 2011

I remember once when I was a kid my dad gave me permission to leave my elementary classroom if a teacher tried to teach me the lie of evolution, we were created in 6 days by God and its not possible that creation could have happened over millions (or billions) of years. I remember later wondering, if Genesis was to be taken as six 24 hour days then how were light, days and nights created before the sun, the moon and the stars. As science presents more evidence for evolution a book like this is needed for people like my dad, a book which allows for Judeo-Christian creation account and evolution to coexist. Walton places Genesis in its ANE context and tries to show that Genesis 1 is discussion functional origins (how God takes the existing matter and makes it ready for humans). Therefore the author isn’t concerned with how everything got here (so evolution could have been the means, but not necessarily) but instead of how God created a functional temple.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost World of Genesis One.