Shannon's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

Oct 10, 12

bookshelves: dytopian
Read from July 05 to 07, 2012

It's been a year but I finally got around to reading Legend. The novel is a fasted paced Dystopian packed with action but I struggled with some of the storylines. The characters were a mixed bag for me as well.

Let's start with the good things. Legend jumps right out of the gate with great world building, complex characters and an intense plot. The story moves along quickly but not so fast that you can't keep up. The alternating narratives of June and Day were handled brilliantly.

June may be one of the two main characters but I just didn't connect to her at all. I had a hard time accepting many of the choices she makes throughout the novel. Plus her personality seemed very inconsistent. One minute she'd be the mature military operative with all the answers and the next she's a naive 15 year old who's socially awkward. Day is by far the more interesting character, at least to me. He's a flawed rebel who's brave and defiant. Living on the streets has made him grow up quick but he hasn't lost sight of the things that matter. Unlike June, Day's young age actually seems to match how he behaves and reacts to things.

While I enjoyed the chemistry between June and Day, I would have liked to see their attraction play out more slowly. I guess I just didn't buy how quickly it all happened.

I wasn't happy with some of the plot twists in the book. I feel like they were done for shock value instead of happening naturally, which I hope makes sense. Though I didn't love Legend I did think it was an enjoyable read and I am curious to see where its going to go next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

07/05/2012 page 89