Chris's Reviews > Deep State

Deep State by Walter Jon Williams

Feb 08, 2011

bookshelves: alternate-reality-games, fiction
Read from February 08 to 21, 2011

Walter Jon williams is the cure for the sci-fi complexity that sometimes plagues the genre. Don't get me wrong I like the pure science writing as much as anyone, but sometimes I want a good mix of science and action. Here we have that great mix.

This is the second novel in the Dagmar series. With what Dagmar went through in the last book I wondered how much more the author could throw at a person with out breaking. This is the crux of the whole story. Dagmar dealing with issues from the last novel and her current situation.This time instead of being swept up in a ARG that touches the real world, but is not about the real world. Now the ARG drives the real world events in a Bond like plot line.

For me Walter Jon Williams has always been able to breach that world between technology and humanistic story lines that stay fresh even as time passes. This is an interesting concept and something I personally find fun to read about. How can something in the fantasy world of Games effect the real world and ultimately be used to affect change.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep State.