Kristen Chavis's Reviews > The Old English Baron

The Old English Baron by Clara Reeve

Feb 08, 11

Read in August, 2010

The Old English Baron is typical Gothic literature. Clara Reeves essentially writes a how-to book on being a good Christian. The characters in this book are extremely flat and one-sided. Also, I find that they are disgustingly sweet. The only interesting character in this book is the antagonist. Even then everyone in this book lives happily ever after and the "villain" is just sent away and never learns a lesson. Reeves fails even have her characters change in anyway. The villain is actually refreshing and helps to dilute how nice and perfect the rest of the characters are. With the chivalrous golden boy, who the baron favors over his own sons, there is a set up for good characterization of the antagonist, yet, even then, it is still flat and one-sided. In this novel, it is important for the characters to show how pious they are, and how devout their love of God is. The social undertones in this book are shocking. Reeves shows in this book how being Noble is very important and that being less than that is bad. All in all, I found myself rooting for the villain and identifying with the villain, which was not Reeves intent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old English Baron.