Kelly's Reviews > The Last Hawk

The Last Hawk by Catherine Asaro

Jul 01, 11

Read in May, 2011

This is a big book. In my opinion, Catherine Asaro tried to do too much with this novel. Despite the length of the novel and the sheer volume of information packed therein, I was left wanting more in several places, however.

The politics of the planet Coba are unique, but I felt they became the focus of the book. While that might work for a standalone novel – and all the novels in the Skolian Empire can be read separately – it detracts from this part of the whole. This is less a story about the Skolians and more one about the Cobans and Kelric’s personal story suffered as a result. In addition, the entire book does serve as a lead in to his romance with Ixpar and the climax is underwhelming.

Though this book was the next entry in the saga of the Skolian Empire (I am reading them in published order rather than chronological order), I had another interest in it. Recently I read The Ruby Dice in which Kelric features prominently. He is obviously changed by his time on Coba, and his alternate perspective important to the story in The Ruby Dice. Reading The Last Hawk did solidify that story, and did a good job of it.

Next up: The Radiant Seas
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Hawk.