Punk's Reviews > The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes

The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes by Jennifer Crusie

Feb 12, 08

bookshelves: romance, fantasy
Read in February, 2008

Romance, Fantasy. I was prepared to laugh this book out of the room. I mean, a collaboration between three authors? With SEVEN pov characters? But it was better than I expected. I got it for Crusie, but I enjoyed most of the rest of the book, except for a large part near the end that was supposed to be sexy and was instead just tedious. (Dee Fortune, I'm looking at you.)

To wit: The three Fortune sisters -- each with their own magical power -- have been hiding from their evil Aunt Xan for the past thirteen years, ever since she killed their parents while trying to steal their powers. And now Xan's after the sisters' powers, so she whips up a spell to send them their One True Loves and...something something something. It's weak, okay? But the girls are likable and the men are hot. The sex is mostly fast and vague, but in a good way. There's a cock or two and no gag-worthy epithets for the human body (except one use of "rampant" OH MY GOD). There's a lot of unprotected sex -- probably because there's also an excessive amount of marriage proposals and declarations of "I love you!" being thrown around, so I guess that makes it okay.</sarcasm>

I've gotten off topic, haven't I? It's an okay book. It's got magic and humor and love. Just be prepared to skim. It can get repetitious due to all the povs.

(SECRET MESSAGE TO CRUSIE FANS: This feels like a Crusie book written by other people. It's got many of her hallmarks, though not enough sexual tension or banter, and way too many romance novel cliches. You can safely skip this if you only read romances by Crusie.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes.