Books-treasureortrash's Reviews > Wolves of the Calla

Feb 08, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in October, 2010, read count: 2

Book Review: 3 Treasure Boxes

This book deals primarily with the Gunslingers working with the towns people in the hopes of saving the children of the Calla from the “Wolves”. Once a generation the "Wolves" come to steal half the children and send them back “roont”. When the children are returned, they are mentally retarded to the point where they can barely do much for themselves. They also grow to become giants and in the process they suffer great pain. They have short lives and when they pass away, they also suffer great pain.

While they are working on a plan, there is derision and divisiveness within the town. We get to know the town folk and we learn more about our characters, although there is not a lot of character development. But there is a climax building up to the point of the arrival of the wolves and the story Stephen King weaves is told very well and it is extremely interesting. There are also a couple of other storylines going on simultaneously which keeps things intriguing.

It is interesting to note that the main character from Salam's Lot, Callahan reappears in this book as a preacher known as the “old fella" and this book ties Salam’s Lot to the Gunslinger’s quest in a very interesting manner. I really enjoyed reading this book as well as all the previous books in this series. The story is masterfully told, it was particularly touching to read about Jake’s challenges between his loyalty to his new friend and his gunslinger duty. It is fun to read how the people of this town talk with “the thank-ye big, big” (as they say in the Calla.) The big battle scene at the end was exciting but pretty straight forward without any surprises.

Although this book did a good job of resolving the Calla’s problem with the wolves, it did not do a good job of resolving the other story-lines which were unfolding at the same time. This book ended with a cliff-hanger. I personally prefer a book that ties up all the story-lines by the end of the book, so in this area the book fell short for me. For this reason and for the way the wolves were dealt with at the end of the book I gave the book a 3 Treasure Box rating.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story, but please read the prior books first as this book is not really a stand-alone book. If you enjoy reading fantasy/science fiction books then you will definitely enjoy this book since it has a bit of both within it.

For my full review go to: http://books-treasureortrash.com/?p=1032
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolves of the Calla.