Leigh's Reviews > A Person of Interest

A Person of Interest by Susan Choi

Apr 20, 14

I would venture to guess that most people who start this book don't finish it. The writing is dense, the plot plods along slowly, and several times I found myself skimming for several pages instead of really paying attention. What kept me going was the author's ability to paint Dr. Lee as such a complex, interesting person. I'm a sucker for a good character study. The book is a psychological thriller, emphasis on the psychology and de-emphasis on the thriller. There needs to be a new word for the point of view this writer uses. "Third person omniscient" doesn't do it; the point of view is deeply personal, exploring the depths of the protagonist's being. Lee is someone you root for and dislike at the same time. You know he's innocent of the crime, but at times you feel like he's paying consequences for his actions, the past catching up with him.

I figured out whodunit, so as a mystery the story falls pretty flat. But there we're loose ends that needed tying up, and I wasn't willing to abandon Lee without knowing how the pieces would all eventually fit. I'm glad I did, and I'll probably give this author another chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Person of Interest.

04/19 marked as: read