Ruth's Reviews > A Rake's Guide to Seduction

A Rake's Guide to Seduction by Caroline Linden

I loved this book! The plot, the characters, the darkness.. It was wonderful!

It is a story about self-worth, depression, abandonment, and yes, finding the one person who really understands you and loves you. It looks at what can happen when marriages go wrong, and I particularly like that there is no one really to blame - the heroine and her first husband are not suited and not in a position to cope.

The hero is wonderful. I loved him within the first two paragraphs and just loved him more and more right through until the very end. He has built a life for himself, suffers cruelly at the hands of gossips and has little self-esteem.

I've read some reviews about how this is a dark story (the heroine finds herself trapped in the wrong marriage, and falls into depression from which she can't escape) and, it's true this isn't a galloping Regency romp, but I LOVED the darkness. The author's descriptions of how moderate depression (non-suicidal) feels are absolutely spot on. It really is the best characterisation of what it looks like for the sufferer I've seen. Likewise her descriptions of the hero's insecurities are excellent.

So, from the caring, but extremely irritating mother, to the gossipy, obnoxious friends, I really enjoyed it.

OK, the last little plot twist was a bit unnecessary, but it didn't annoy me either.

5 stars, all-time-favorites list. This author is now an auto-buy for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rake's Guide to Seduction.

03/16/2011 page 267
76.0% "This is just a fabulous book! I love it, love it, love it!!" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

seton I really didnt find the bk dark at all. Maybe "moody"? I thought Jewel's Scandal much darker and liked it better b/c of it.

message 2: by Ruth (last edited Mar 16, 2011 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Yeah. I like the stuff that's a bit darker or moodier too. Well, I like the fluffy stuff too, but you can't live on candyfloss all the time, nor roast beef, yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes with thick gravy either. I loved Scandal also, but for personal reasons, the description of the heroine's depression in this book felt very real. It was an original thing to do, and how the hero gently eases her out of the blackness is also fairly realistic to me personally.

One thing about this series though, the titles do these books no justice at all.

Lori I adored this one as well. Like you, I fell in love with Anthony almost immediately, and was rooting for them the entire way.

Ruth Thanks Lori!

This one kinda came out of nowhere as well. The two preceeding books were written in the same style, but the hero and heroine were just so incredibly likable. Just two quiet people, miscast by society. Ahhh..

Karla My favorite Caroline Linden. Well, I haven't read her lastest ... I'm saving it.

Ruth Karla,

She was totally new for me. There's so many great authors out there and I love it when I find a new one that just hits the right note with me.