Rachel's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Currently reading the reinvented version of Jane Austen’s classic, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (written and engineered by Seth Grahame-Smith). Not being a terrible fan of Austen’s original works, I have to say that I’m shamelessly in love with the idea of adding hoards of flesh-devouring undead into the mix of things. I haven’t formally read the original Pride and Prejudice, but I know enough about the general plot, and about Austen’s style to guess that this adaptation is, forgive the pun, dead on– aside from the zombies, that is. For anyone who hasn’t heard of this particularly epic bit of story retelling, it follows the plot and characters of Austen’s original novel, with the slight reworking of certain aspects to include zombies, ninjas, and the fact that Elizabeth Bennett can kick ass like nobody’s business, lady or not. The one thing that always put me off about Austen’s style was how prim and proper everything needed to be; I understand that she was emulating the times, and that women were meant to be seen and not heard, but I always found the strong-willed-female-meets-slightly-disagreeable-male-and-later-goes-on-to-become-his-lovely-housewife—-(oh, but they’re deeply in love!) approach to be formulaic and boring. I appreciate the character of both Elizabeth and Mr. Darcey, and I appreciate the fact that Austen’s characters overcome all manners of odds to live happily ever after– I just think it’s much more fun when there are zombies involved. But then again, what isn’t?

I know that there are tons of Austen-purists out there who consider this book to be a sacrilege of all that’s good and holy, but so far, I think it’s innovative and a lot of fun to read. Not nobel-prize winning literature, by any means, but I can’t help but smirk while reading and catching all the barbs and pointed asides aimed at Austen’s original. This book doesn’t take itself terribly seriously, and that’s half the joy of it. Though for being a parody, it does stick remarkably close to the original in both style and detail: it literally reads nearly as if Austen herself had penned scenes of gory and vicious zombie attacks.

Most everyone knows the basics of the story, and aside from the addition of zombies there isn’t much else new to speak of. But I will say that for anyone who is torn between their love for the classics and their yearning for bloody carnage of the undead sort, this is your book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

04/08/2011 page 39
12.0% "This book is amusing so far; never having read the original Pride and Prejudice, I can't aptly compare the two, but I am enjoying the quirky twist on Austen's classic premise."