Dionisia's Reviews > Jamrach's Menagerie

Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch

Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, sea-story, own, advance-reading-copy, historical-fiction, europe
Read from March 19 to 23, 2011, read count: 1

This review is of an advance reading copy I received via a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

In Jamrach's Menagerie, Jaffy and Tim, friends and rivals growing up in 19th century London, embark on an ill-fated overseas adventure hoping to capture an elusive "dragon" for their employer. The pacing is uneven throughout, but the narrative carries such emotional depth and presence that I can forgive this minor fault. It's surprisingly intense. Don't be fooled by the book's title and whimsical cover design...this is not a light read. Somewhere along the way it morphs into Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors out on the open water.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jamrach's Menagerie.

03/19/2011 page 16
03/21/2011 page 77
25.0% "I am enjoying Part 2 much more than the beginning of the book. Eager to read about the adventures to come."
03/23/2011 page 217
71.0% "Started to drag a bit in the middle but now cannot put it down. Completely absorbed."
show 2 hidden updates…