Jenny's Reviews > The Girl in the Steel Corset

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, steampunk
Read in January, 2012

I was entirely surprised at how much I liked this book.

Characters:
They were really well done! Each was individual, and I felt fully invested in everyone from Jack Dandy Sam. I wanted, however, more insight into Finley's dual nature - the process of completion, the session her and the duke had...I felt like that was shoved to the side in favor of the main plot, but it was such an incredible side plot that I wanted more.

Plot:
Speaking of - nice job! I would say that this is what I searched for and desperately wanted when I discovered The League of Extraordinary Gentleman (both book and movie), and I was entirely delighted with how it transpired. Predictable or no, it was completely delightful.

Writing:
Well done. It drifted off a bit near the end, and there were some fractured bits here and there, but that's me nit-picking.

Steampunkiness:
I don't read much steampunk. In fact, I had to make a new shelf since I read this. But I thought Cross did a fantastic job making everything entirely believable.

Romance (because there's plenty):
It's clean, but keeps you on your toes. :)

Graded an A-. Go read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Steel Corset.