Allison's Reviews > Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat: Why It's So Hard to Think Straight About Animals

Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog

F_50x66
Feb 08, 11

Read in February, 2011

Anthrozoology is certainly an interesting field. I've always wondered why some cultures eat cats and dogs and think nothing of it; the same way we eat cows, which is a sacred animal to Buddhists. That's about as far as I've ever pondered, but this book goes far beyond what different cultures find suitable for meals. It also explores pet/human relationships which is extremely interesting to me considering I love my cat more than any living thing on this planet. I always thought I might be a little misguided or misanthropic (both of which are still probably true), but this book provided me with scientific fodder as to why I feel this way. It traces pet/human relationships back to ancient times and describes how we have come to adopt animals as our best friends. The most intriguing chapter explains how cats and dogs have actually evolved both physically and mentally to be more human friendly! Not so fast animal lovers; it's mostly to acquire food because we're sappy, easy targets.

Reiterating every pet/human relationship research study that has ever been published, Herzog constructs a comprehensive philosophy on anthrozoology. Not the best nonfiction I've read recently, but at least I can sleep better knowing there are very valid (and healthy) reasons for my slow descent into crazy cat-ladyhood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat.