Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > A Long, Long Sleep

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

Jul 08, 11

bookshelves: from-publisher, netgalley, for-review, dac-2011, young-adult
Read from February 28 to March 01, 2011

‘A Long, Long Sleep’ is a book that I would describe as light science fiction. It takes place in the future, but there aren’t too many technical details at all. In a very loose sense this is a Sleeping Beauty story that is set within a dystopian-lite society. I describe it this way because the society is actually more Utopian on the outside, but there are sinister undertones to the whole plot.

I was totally drawn in by the plot of this story. You could tell that bad things were going to happen, but you could only unwind these horrific details bit by bit. While some of the story was quite predictable, there were enough twists to keep me guessing. The quieter narrative parts of the story worked for me: I found them compelling enough, but I also enjoyed the few action sequences, because they kept things fresh.

Rose wasn’t necessarily a character that I connected with, but it worked somehow. I still cared about her and desperately wanted the sorrow in her life to end. This novel set a certain mood for me that I felt drawn into, and it kept me coming back to see how everything would work out. The ending felt a bit ambiguous to me, but that’s because I like things all wrapped up. Most plot points do get wrapped up, and there is definitely a sense of completion. I definitely enjoyed this book and I would recommend it particularly for readers of contemporary YA, as the story is more about Rose’s internal struggles with loss and identity than it is about the futuristic setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long, Long Sleep.