Katie Dale's Reviews > Songs in Ordinary Time

Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris

Feb 08, 11

Read in January, 2011

I had mixed feelings when I put down this book last night after a long 2-week read. It was frusterating yet realistic in that many of the characters were angry, constantly fighting, and rarely able to catch a break. I longed for the Fermoyle family to end the novel at some sort of peace, but I felt like Alice was the only one who really achieved any sort of happiness (she also was the only one to get away from the clutches of her mother, who try as she might, only seemed to perpetuate the despair in the household). I'm not sure I would read this book again, though I did enjoy how the length of the book allowed the reader to see a 360 degree view of the characters. Alice is confused, Norm is trying to build himself a life away from his father's drunken shadow, Benjy is self conscious and afriad of everything and Marie is afraid of being left alone when her children are raised. I don't think any of the characters really fully realize their deepest fears which drive them throughout the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs in Ordinary Time.