Lori's Reviews > The Hummingbird's Daughter

The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012, thought-provoking, audio, travel-the-world, faith-building
Recommended for: historical fiction fans
Read in July, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, narrated by the author in the version I have. Urrea did a remarkable job breathing life into his novel. Not all authors are necessarily good readers or performers, but I believe Urrea set the perfect tone for his book and brought just the right amount of drama and passion to his story through his narration.

I knew next to nothing about this book before reading it beyond the fact that others who have similar tastes highly recommended it. I like my stories that way. Tell me the general setting and a one-sentence premise then let me discover the it on my own. I'm glad I found this one that way because I'm pretty sure if I had known that this was based on a true story of "The Saint of Cabora" I'm not sure I would have read it which would have been my loss.

Late 19th Century Mexico during a time of civil unrest is the setting for the fascinating story of Teresita, the illegitimate daughter of a powerful and wealthy rancher. I have since learned that Urrea spent 20 years writing and researching this novel which is based on his distant relative. I appreciate it even more after discovering that so many of the sequences in the book are based on numerous, documented events from multiple witnesses - fascinating.

This is not what I would imagine to be a typical biography of a "saint." It has some, not extensive, but some strong language as well as racy encounters but it is a story that kept me fascinated and eager for more, waiting to see what would happen next which was usually completely unexpected.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hummingbird's Daughter.