Claudia's Reviews > Once a Witch

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

Feb 13, 2011

bookshelves: first-in-series, young-adult, paranormal-fantasy-scifi, read-in-2011, series
Read from February 08 to 09, 2011

Rating Clarification: 3.5

Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up.

This book begins with the prediction that Tamsin will be one the most powerful witches of the last centuries. A prophecy that, at first, will be considered a 'false alarm', since Tamsin's powers don't show up when they're supposed to.

Tamsin feels like an outsider. In her family, her little flaw drives her away from her friends. At her school, her little secret is a constant reminder of her nature. So when the possibility to make her family proud shows up, she takes it in the bat of an eye.

At the same time, Gabriel, her long-time, crush-worthy friend, moves back in the village and the friendship between the two of them starts turning into something more.

But what will happen when her family's safety is put in danger?
And when she discovers that after all she's not so powerless?
Will she be able to save her friends and herself?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was a nice, short reading and I liked both the setting and the big-family thing. The characters were good, although I wasn't able to really connect with them, probably because of the fast-paced, intriguing plot.

I'm looking forward to the sequel, Always a Witch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once a Witch.