Mary's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Feb 08, 11

Living in Chicago during a week of snow, ice and cold, I related very well to this Canadian mystery set in Quebec City during Winter Carnival. Louise Penny is a new pleasant discovery for me and Bury Your Dead is a great mystery with a wonderful sense of place, well developed characterization, and an intricate plot.
Bury Your Dead is her sixth Inspector Armand Gamache novel.Gamache is a character who is totally worth the reader's respect. While on vacation to recover from a devastating investigation, he is called to investigate the murder of Augustin Renaud in the basement of the Literary and Historical Society. Being a history fan I enjoyed all the English-French history and the information about Samuel de Champlain, the founder of Quebec. Renaud was obsessed with finding the burial place of Champalin and died looking for it.
What is so enticing about this mystery is that this is not the only crime or story in the novel. Penny weaves story upon story and gives the reader an outstanding winter read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.