Marija's Reviews > Too Many Tamales

Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: latino-a-literature-rll528

This is the story of a young girl who while helping her mother make tamales, "accidentally" loses her mothers ring in the dough. The young girl is very distressed about this and enlists the help of her cousins to help her find the ring. The children eat all 24 of the tamales in hopes of finding the ring, however, the ring was not in the tamales in the first place.

I chose to read this book because it was an award winning book depicting latino life. Although the story itself is humurous and will undoubtedly resonate with children, I found the book to be overly idealistic in both text and illustration. The perfection in which the characters are portrayed and the perfect solution to their perfect problem reminded me of a Brady Bunch episode.

This is not to say there is no multicultural value to this book. On the contrary, I feel that this book does portray the Latino culture in a accurate way and that many students of Latino heritage will find similarities in their own lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Many Tamales.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle This books seems like a lot of other latino books that focus heavily on family life. A lot of books I've read in this genre focus on the relationships between older and younger members of a family in a way that seems really idealistic and uncomplicated. This is not necessarily, but I wonder how much of this is a reflection of reality and how much is idealized for younger readers. It's funny that it reminded you of a Brady Brunch episode. It sounds like a sitcom where a problem is presented, and within thirty minutes the problem is solved and everyone is laughing and happy at the end. Sounds like a fun book for younger kids but probably not one that will help outsiders learn a whole lot about latino culture.