Jules's Reviews > Never a Gentleman

Never a Gentleman by Eileen Dreyer

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: arc, blog-tour, reviewed, sent-4-review

My 3.5 JEWEL review can be found at One Book Shy of a Full Shelf

I enjoyed this second book in Eileen Dreyer's "Drake's Rakes" series. It stands alone quite well, but I would like to read the first book Barely a Lady as well as the upcoming Always a Temptress. I found that I am hooked on the author's storytelling ability and writing style.

This story was quite the ride. Ms. Dreyer is very adept at taking her readers on a wild roller coaster of emotions. I was amazed that I felt so much empathy for Grace while at the same time wanting to kick her. She was such a likable and thoughtful lady who tries to do everything for everyone else while always paying the price herself. I grew frustrated by her lack of self-esteem, especially when she was surrounded by people who adored her. There were a few times when I wanted her to grow a spine and take action.

Diccan was a pain in the rear. I would have kicked him. It helped that the reader was privy to Diccan's thoughts and reasons for his actions, but it didn't excuse or make them any more acceptable. I usually fall for the hero in romances, but the author did a great job of making it more difficult for Diccan to win my heart. She creates believable characters that aren't hard to accompany on their journey.

In trying to keep my review spoiler-free, I won't get into too much more detail regarding the plot. Eileen Dreyer kept things hopping and flowing beautifully. The intrigue and romantic drama blend into one of those stories that you won't want to put down until the last page. I wasn't ready for it to be over so I really am looking forward to Kate and Harry's story in the next installment - Always a Temptress, due out this Fall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never a Gentleman.